Stony Brook offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic, treatment, and follow-up services for patients with colorectal cancer, including expedited diagnosis and technologically advanced radiation, surgical, and systemic therapies. For more information: Diagnosis & Treatment.
- Minimally Invasive/Laparoscopic/Robotic-assisted Colorectal Surgery. These are advanced procedures that are a safe and effective alternative to conventional open surgery. Your surgeon will discuss the optimal surgical option for your unique needs.
- Anal Cancer Treatment. One of the cancers that receives less attention than others but is just as important to be aware of is anal cancer, which occurs in 1 in 600 adults nationwide. Read more.
- Rectal Cancer Staging. Rectal cancer staging can be determined by endorectal ultrasound and PET/CT scan or endocoil MR imaging. Treatment consists of combined chemotherapy and radiation.
- Genetic counseling. A specialized genetic counselor is available to patients and families dealing with inheritable colorectal cancers.
- Imaging technology. New and powerful imaging technologies help surgeons remove disease and spare vital tissue. We use endorectal ultrasound, magnifying endoscope, and minimally invasive laparoscopic surgical techniques such as laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
Our exceptional clinical support services contribute to coordinated care. These include Nutrition Services, Palliative Care/Survivorship & Support and Physical and Occupational Rehabilitation, Therapeutic Yoga. For more information, see Patient Support.