- Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women in New York State.
- Each year in New York alone over 15,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 2,600 women die from the disease.
- It is estimated that one in eight women will develop breast cancer during her life.
- About 85 percent of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer.
- Regular mammograms can help find breast cancer at an early stage.
- Early detection of breast cancer increases the likelihood of being cured.
Sources: NYS Department of Health and NYS Cancer Registry, breastcancer.org and cancer.org
How Our Van Came to Be
Stony Brook University Cancer Center’s Mobile Mammography Van was made possible by two grants totaling more than $4 million from the New York State Department of Health. The van travels throughout Long Island to corporate locations, community centers, underserved areas and many other places in order to provide easy and convenient access to mammograms for women who otherwise might not get them.