The Patient Advocacy and Community Outreach office is located on the second floor of the Cancer Center. For more information, call (631) 638-0004.
How Can a Patient Advocate Help Me?
Some of the ways a patient advocate can help individuals facing cancer:
- Learn about cancer and treatment options
- Match to a peer mentor who is a trained cancer survivor volunteer
- Find help with transportation and lodging
- Get answers to financial and insurance questions
- Learn how the hospital works and questions to ask the doctor
- Find local support groups and programs offered by Stony Brook Medicine, the American Cancer Society, and the community to ease the cancer burden.
- Referrals to Stony Brook's Department of Social Work, Nutrition, and Financial Counseling
- Referrals to Stony Brook's partner organizations in the community